Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Back to Your Regularly Scheduled Program

Let’s take a break from all discussion of life changing decisions for a moment and talk about our fabulous weekend. This blog’s title isn’t called “A Life of Adventure” for nothing, right?

Last weekend Todd and I had a whirlwind of fun and adventure. But let’s back up to the weekend before for a moment. There was a robin’s nest in the pretty flowery bush just outside of our workshop. The hen only laid one egg, and we’ve been keeping an eye on it for the last few weeks. Last weekend the egg finally hatched, and my nieces and nephews admired the baby bird that sat under its mother’s body to keep warm. Then this last Saturday I noticed that Nemo was sniffing around under the bush. I didn’t think much of it at the time, as he’s a beagle and can basically be considered a nose with legs. Later that morning Todd and I were outside and I learned what Nemo was sniffing at, the baby robin had fallen out of its nest, and the mama robin was nowhere to be found.

Todd scooped up the robin and put it back into the nest. We left for the afternoon, as I had my workplace’s company picnic down the road, and then we went out to run some errands. When we came home in the evening we saw that the mama robin hadn’t returned to warm her young’s body and to feed it. Concerned, we called a wildlife rescue hotline and learned that we should prepare a shoebox with a heating pad, an old T-shirt and see if we could warm and then feed the baby. We brought the baby in and tried to warm it. Then we mashed up some blueberries and tried to feed it. I am sad to say that the baby bird died around midnight on Saturday night.

On Sunday morning we woke up, still a bit sad about our failed attempt at rescuing this poor baby bird. To ease our sadness we packed up our dive gear and headed to Fort Wetherhill, in Jamestown, RI for our first dive of the season. I am trying hard not to pay attention to the fact that it’s the middle of August and I’ve just gone on my first dive. The dive was wonderful. We only went to a maximum of 28 or so feet. But these 5 white fish with vertical black bars followed us around for the entire dive. They swam circles around us, and we just kneeled on the bottom and watched them for awhile.

Now I can’t wait to go on vacation next week, so we can dive some more.

Labels: ,


Blogger The Creeper said...

You know, that is the thing that surprised and fascinates me... the fish follow you around while diving.

We went out last week and attempted to get to a wreck, but didn't make it. Instead we puttered about in the less sea-weedy water (I think I have an issue, no, wait, I know I have an issue with seaweed). Anyway, at one point I thought I saw something out of the corner of my eye and turned, it was a big fish. Staring directly at me. And when Bill swam a little ways away to scope out something, it turned and followed him. Too funny.

August 19, 2008 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Us-I don't think you're the only one with a problem with sea-weedy water. Hate it!!

The more you talk about diving the more I want to try it. I even checked out classes through our local outdoor club. It might be something I try next summer.

August 20, 2008 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger BJ Knapp said...

Heidi--just do it! So much fun. I really think you'd enjoy it.

Sue--we have eelgrass here, long narrow blades of grass underwater. It is kinda fun to use my arms to part the grass and swim through.

August 20, 2008 at 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home